TOPIC: WAITING FOR HIS RETURN (DCLM Daily Manna 13 March 2021)
TEXT: SONGS OF SOLOMON 2:1-9 (KJV)
- I am the rose of Sharon, and the lily of the valleys.
- As the lily among thorns, so is my love among the daughters.
- As the apple tree among the trees of the wood, so is my beloved among the sons. I sat down under his shadow with great delight, and his fruit was sweet to my taste.
- He brought me to the banqueting house, and his banner over me was love.
- Stay me with flagons, comfort me with apples: for I am sick of love.
- His left hand is under my head, and his right hand doth embrace me.
- I charge you, O ye daughters of Jerusalem, by the roes, and by the hinds of the field, that ye stir not up, nor awake my love, till he please.
- The voice of my beloved! behold, he cometh leaping upon the mountains, skipping upon the hills.
- My beloved is like a roe or a young hart: behold, he standeth behind our wall, he looketh forth at the windows, shewing himself through the lattice.
KEY VERSE: “The voice of my beloved! behold, he cometh leaping upon the mountains, skipping upon the hills” (SONGS OF SOLOMON 2:8).
An old woman recounted how lonely she was shortly after marriage. Her husband was conscripted into the British royal army barely one year after their wedding, during the World War II. She was restless, expectant, eager and anxious throughout the period. There was no cell phone with which she and her husband could communicate. But she communed with God for him unceasingly. According to her, her joy knew no bounds on 10th May, 1949 when her long-awaited beloved came back home safe and sound.
Today’s text talks about the loving and unfeigned relationship between two lovers. This typifies the relationship between Christ (the Bridegroom) and the Church (the Bride). Christians are here contrasted with unbelievers in the type of fruits they bear. While believers are spiritually beautiful, loving, bearing the desirable fruit of righteousness with perfect peace in their minds, sinners are despicable, noxious and unpleasantly worthless like thorns and briers.
The bridegroom and the bride have professed true love to each other, not the type of deceptive, false and flattering love that sinners profess to one another through lust and infatuation. Christ’s love for the Church is selfless, sacrificial and sincere. This deep affection motivated Him to suffer and die on the cross to redeem man to Himself. Christ has gone to heaven to prepare a place where He would receive the redeemed upon His imminent return.
The Church should respond in full reciprocation and demonstration of her true love to her Bridegroom who died so that she could live. She should be occupied for the Lord in this period of waiting through holy living, constant watching, diligent work, unceasing prayer, tireless evangelism, keeping pure and serving the Body of Christ in true devotion and dedication.
✍THOUGHT FOR THE DAY: Be ready for the Lord’s imminent return.
BIBLE IN ONE YEAR: NUMBERS 16-18.
DCLM Daily Manna was written by Pastor William Folorunso Kumuyi; is the founder and General Superintendent of the Deeper Life Bible Church situated at KM 42 on the busy Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, Nigeria.