OPEN HEAVEN 19 JUNE 2021 – FRUITLESSNESS IS DISASTROUS
OPEN HEAVEN 19 June 2021 TOPIC: Fruitlessness Is Disastrous
MEMORISE: Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit. – John 15:2
READ: Luke 13:6-7. (KJV)
6 He spake also this parable; A certain man had a fig tree planted in his vineyard; and he came and sought fruit thereon, and found none.
7 Then said he unto the dresser of his vineyard, Behold, these three years I come seeking fruit on this fig tree, and find none: cut it down; why cumbereth it the ground?
BIBLE IN ONE YEAR: 1 Samuel 25-27
Open Heaven 19 June 2021 MESSAGE:
Jesus told a parable about an unproductive, but well nurtured fig tree in today’s Bible reading. The reaction of the person tending this tree, in Luke 13:7, is our concern in today’s devotional. The farmer in this parable had been expecting pleasant fruits based on his efforts; unfortunately, he got nothing. Like this farmer in Luke 3:9, John the Baptist told the Jewish religious leaders of his days:
“And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: every tree therefore which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.”
Beloved, according to 1 Corinthians 3:9, we are God’s husbandry. In other words, God is the husbandman, we are the lively trees, nurtured since the day of our birth and particularly since we gave our lives to Christ. There is no doubt that we have been nourished graciously by the Almighty through His Son Jesus and the Holy Spirit. The fact that you are alive to see this day is a pointer to how we have received both physical and spiritual nourishment. The question now is: Are you bearing fruits? The husbandman in our study today ordered that the unproductive fig tree be cut down. This is serious. May we not be cut down in Jesus’ name. The practical “Amen” to this prayer is to simply turn away from a life of fruitlessness.
If you are yet to be born again, Matthew 3:8 says you must first bring forth fruits meet for repentance, if you are already God’s child by His grace, Jesus is saying to you in John 15:4:
“Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.”
You must give yourself completely to the Lordship of Jesus. you must go the ‘extra mile’ for Him and you will surely get your reward.
Apart from not being cut down and thrown into fire, Jesus promised in John 15:16 that the Father will grant all the requests you make in His name. Once you begin to bear fruit, the Lord will also continue to purge you from all impurities so that you may bear even more. Please mediate on Galatians 5:22-26.
Open Heaven 19 June 2021 PRAYER POINT:
Father, please destroy the power of doubt and intimidation in my life, in the mighty name of Jesus.
Open Heaven 19 June 2021 HYMN 8: Ho, My Comrades! See The Signal
1. Ho, my comrades, see the signal, waving in the sky!
Reinforcements now appearing, victory is nigh.
“Hold the fort, for I am coming,” Jesus signals still;
Wave the answer back to Heaven, “By Thy grace we will.”
2. See the mighty host advancing, Satan leading on;
Mighty ones around us falling, courage almost gone!
3. See the glorious banner waving! Hear the trumpet blow!
In our Leader’s Name we triumph over every foe.
4. Fierce and long the battle rages, but our help is near;
Onward comes our great Commander, cheer, my comrades, cheer!
Open Heavens 2021 Daily Devotional guide was written by Pastor E.A. Adeboye, the General Overseer of the Redeemed Christian Church of God, one of the largest evangelical church in the world and also the President of Christ the Redeemer’s Ministries. The Open Heavens devotional application is available across all mobile platforms and operating systems: iOS, Android, Blackberry, Nokia, Windows Mobile and PC.
1. Admit that you are a sinner. "For all [humans] have sinned, and comes short of the glory of God....[and] the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord" (Romans 3:23)
2. Repent now. "Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out ...[for] if we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness " (Acts 3:19, 1 John 1:9)
3. Believe that God loves you and Jesus died for you. "God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet Sinners, Christ died for us" (Romans 5:8)
4. Invite Jesus into your life through prayer of faith. Jesus says, "Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me" (Revelation 3:20)