1. Prayer is the soul’s sincere desire,
Uttered or unexpressed!
The motion of a hidden fire
That trembles in the breast.
2. Prayer is the burden of a sigh,
The falling of a tear;
The upward glancing of an eye,
When none but God is near.
3. Prayer is the simplest form of speech
That infant lips can try;
Prayer the sublimest strains that reach
The majesty on high.
4. Prayer is the contrite sinner’s voice
Returning from his ways
While angels in their songs rejoice,
And cry; Behold he prays!
5. Prayer is the Christian’s vital breath,
The Christian’s native air;
His watchword at the gates of death;
He enters heaven with prayer.
6. O Thou by whom we come to God,
The Life, the Truth, the Way!
The path of prayer Thyself has trod:
Lord! Teach us how to pray.