1. I’m pressing on the upward way;
New heights I’m gaining ev’ry day;
Still praying as I onward bound;
“Lord, plant my feet on higher ground”
Lord, lift me up and let me stand;
By faith, on heaven’s table-land;
Where love, and joy, and light abound,
Lord, plant my feet on higher ground.
2. My heart has no desire to stay
Where doubts arise, and fears dismay;
Though some may dwell where these abound,
My constant aim is higher ground.
3. Beyond the mist I fain would rise,
To rest beneath unclouded skies,
Above earth’s turmoil peace is found,
By those who dwell on higher ground.
4. I long to scale the utmost height,
Though rough the way, and hard the fight,
My song, while climbing, shall resound,
Lord, lead me on to higher ground.
5. Lord, lead me up the mountain side,
I dare not climb without my Guide;
And, heaven gained, I’ll gaze around,
With grateful heart from higher ground.