239. ONE THERE IS ABOVE ALL OTHERS
1. One there is above all others,
Well deserves the name of Friend;
His is love beyond a brother’s,
Costly, free, and knows n end:
They who once His kindness prove,
Find it everlasting love.
2. Which of all our friends, to save us,
Could or would have shed his blood?
But our Jesus died to have us
Reconciled in Him to God:
This was boundless love indeed;
Jesus is a Friend in need.
3. When He lived on earth abased
“Friend of sinners” was His name;
Now above all glories raised,
He rejoices in the same;
Still He calls them brethren, friends,
And to all their wants attends.
4. O, for grace our hearts to soften!
Teach us, Lord, at length to love;
We, alas! Forget too often
What a Friend we have above;
But when home our souls are brought
We shall love Thee as we ought.
1. Admit that you are a sinner. "For all [humans] have sinned, and comes short of the glory of God....[and] the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord" (Romans 3:23)
2. Repent now. "Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out ...[for] if we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness " (Acts 3:19, 1 John 1:9)
3. Believe that God loves you and Jesus died for you. "God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet Sinners, Christ died for us" (Romans 5:8)
4. Invite Jesus into your life through prayer of faith. Jesus says, "Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me" (Revelation 3:20)