TOPIC: DILIGENTLY DOING GOD’S WORK IN GOD’S WAY
TEXT: 1 CORINTHIANS 16:5-12
• 5 Now I will come unto you, when I shall pass through Macedonia: for I do pass through Macedonia.
• 6 And it may be that I will abide, yea, and winter with you, that ye may bring me on my journey whithersoever I go.
• 7 For I will not see you now by the way; but I trust to tarry a while with you, if the Lord permit.
• 8 But I will tarry at Ephesus until Pentecost.
• 9 For a great door and effectual is opened unto me, and there are many adversaries.
• 10 Now if Timotheus come, see that he may be with you without fear: for he worketh the work of the Lord, as I also do.
• 11 Let no man therefore despise him: but conduct him forth in peace, that he may come unto me: for I look for him with the brethren.
• 12 As touching our brother Apollos, I greatly desired him to come unto you with the brethren: but his will was not at all to come at this time; but he will come when he shall have convenient time.
vs 5 “Now I will come unto you, when I shall pass through Maced onia: for I do pass through Macedonia”. Communication started with speaking. You and your neighbour meet and you speak to each other in a language you both understand. Afterwards, writing started. God Himself wrote the Ten Commandments and gave it to Moses for the people. He also commanded him to write the books of Genesis to Deuteronomy, and now, we have the whole Bible, this is communication by writing.
Now, communication has increased because we can use our cell phones to interact with people and from there give them the word of life through the social media but then, the social media cannot solve all the problems. Apostle Paul said he would come to the people when passing through Macedonia. Some people think that all the revelation they will receive will be from social media, my brother and sister, that cannot complete everything. The body of Christ must know that that the face to face interation is very important. Jesus told the disciples to go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature, after which they would baptize them in water in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost. We cannot conduct Water baptism or take the Lord’s Supper, the Holy Communion on social Media. These ordinances can only happen when we are together. For those who think they can stay at home and connect all the time, you need to know that it is good for you to come and fellowship with
believers. Apostle Paul promised to pass through Macedonia. After the Crusade, there is the need for follow up and integrate the converts into fellowship with other brethren.
The topic of our study tonight is DILIGENTLY DOING GOD’S WORK IN GOD’S WAY, not haphazardly or any way we like. The study is divided into three parts:
A. PURPOSEFULLY WITNESSING AND WORKING WITH GOD AMIDST ADVERSARIES
(1 Corinthians 16:5-6; Acts 26:15-19; 19:20-21; 20:1-3; Romans 1:13-17; 2 Timothy 3:10-12; 1 Corinthians 16:7-8; James 4:15-17;1 Corinthians 16:9; Acts 19:8-12; Philippians 1:27-30; 1 Samuel 2:9-10)
Even though Paul had other able lieutenants in the person of Timothy, Silas, he did not allow that to hinder him from going to see his converts. He is also seen as one with great plans who had the mind to go Rome, Macedonia, Philippi and Ephesus, he also knew where he would be during the feast of Pentecost. You must have a clear plan, goal and aspirations on which you will follow through. Do not leave anything to chance. Check up from time to time to ensure that you are on track in all you need to do. There was an open door before Paul but there were many adversaries. As the adversaries work for their master Satan, we must work for our Master and Lord. They are working for darkness while we are moving fast. As they are very working very fast into eternal perdition, we are moving to an eternity of joy, peace and happiness. If they are faithful in serving the devil, we must be as diligent, determined and passionate in serving our Lord.
Apostle Paul knew he was called for a purpose which he was determined to fulfill. What is the purpose? He was a persecutor before becoming a preacher. He was an enemy but now, no longer an enemy. Paul’s conversion was clear, he was on his way to Damascus and he knew when, and how he was converted. He purposefully and
determinedly worked for God among adversaries. Have you noticed that Paul was not ordained by Apostles Peter and John, by the twelve, Jerusalem did not even know about it. The Lord Jesus Himself ordained, appointed and put him in place to bear fruits.
You must know that you have been called to soul-winning. He was called and showed a heavenly mission. When God called him, he was not disobedient to the heavenly vision and mission, just as you must not be disobedient. God has called you and it is good that you are not disobedient to the heavenly vision. Paul was a man of purpose and he had passion for the call he received, he did not allow anything to hinder him from the purpose. Purpose is the anchor of every other thing in life. You may know doctrine, have a distinguishing life, or have faith, but if you don’t have purpose, all will be useless. He was a man of one goal, ideal, you must purposefully discern and follow through with your calling. God who helped Paul will also help you. Anytime you plan to do something, you will always say if the Lord permits, I will do this and that. Everything we plan or want to do, every project we want to embark upon we will let it be exactly as God permits. Bragging and boasting are out of order for believers, you must always factor God into everything you have to do. Knowing to do good things and not doing them is sin. You don’t need to hear the voice of God before you do good things like evangelism and others. We do not need to wait for a go-ahead from God on anything He expressly commands.
A great door has been opened before us with Global Crusades and our electronic devices. You can do so much with them by sharing all the nuggets being put out on Mondays. You may even be a shy person, but with your devices you can reach out to many people, even those who you don’t understand their languages. You cannot allow tiredness, procrastinating, etc. to hinder you because they are adversaries. Do you know that an average person checks his phone every 5 minutes. This was the result of a survey carried out. Let us send messages of life to occupy people’s time so that they will use their time profitably. Imagine if we sent messages of the word of life to o thers for complete
two years, each person passing the message to others, in two years, the world will change and be turn upside down for Christ. In Paul’s time, all the people in Asia heard the word of life. It is our time and turn now, let us do all we can to bless the lives of others. We can send Crusade messages, we can cut the prayers and send to sick and challenged people. You will make good use of all these opportunities in Jesus name.
B. PASSIONATELY WORKING AS A WORKMAN WITH GOD LIKE THE APOSTLE
(1 Corinthians 16:10-11; 2 Timothy 1:2,5; 3:14-15; Acts 16:1-5;Philippians 2:19-22; Romans 16:21,26; 1 Corinthians 4:16-17; 2 Corinthians 1:19-21;2 Thessalonians 3:1-2,13; 2 Timothy 1:2,13-14; 2:1-8,15,21-22; 4:1-5)
Timothy, a trainee, a member, disciple, learner, someone who was just a follower of Apostle Paul did not wait for his mentor to retire or die before he started working for God. He practiced and acted on all he learned from the Apostle.
Who was Timothy? When was he converted? By what means was he converted? Let us learn a little about him.
1. (2 Timothy 1:2,5) He was born again. His grandmother and mother were saved and they passed this faith to him. He repented and became born again as a child and grew up to become a disciple. Acts 16:1-2. Though he came through a mixed marriage of a Jewish mother and a Greek father, he chose to take on the faith of his mother. Christian mothers, the question is your child, or are your children born again? You must not be afraid or hesitate to bring your children up in the way of the Lord to the point that they will have good record everywhere.
2. He had the physical and spiritual circumcision of the heart (vs 3).
3. He was consecrated to the Lord. God wants more Timothys in the church today. I pray you will be like him in Jesus name (vs 4).
4. He put everything he learned to practice. The old nature did not have the best of him. He totally followed the footsteps o f the Apostle just as he said the church in Corinth should be a follower of him. He was faithful in the Lord, regardless of where he was or sent to, in spite of all the challenges he may pass through (vs 4).
5. He did not change any of the doctrines or sound word passed on to him. He was consistent and was always doing well (1 Corinthians 4:16-17). Apostle Paul counselled Timothy to make full proof of his ministry. May the grace which was available for him be for us too in Jesus name (2 Timothy 4:5). May the grace of God not fail in our lives.
C. PATIENTLY WAITING IN THE WISDOM OF GOD WITH APOLLOS
(1 Corinthians 16:12; 1:11-13; 3:3-7; 4:6-7; Philippians 1:15-17;Proverbs 17:14; James 3:13-18; Titus 3:9,13-14; Romans 14:16-19; Philippians 2:3-11; 2 John 1:8; Acts 18:24-28)
People misinterpret this verse of scripture because they don’t understand it: 1 Corinthians 16:12. Apostle Paul sent Apollos to go back to Corinth where he had been before to minister to the brethren. Let me remind you about 2 Corinthians 10:10 where we can see that the written letters of Apostle Paul were more weighty and powerful than his bodily presence which was weak with his speech (communication skills) which were contemptible.
As for Apollos, he was mighty in scriptures, bold, aggressive, outgoing, a different personality so different from Paul’s. There was division in the Corinthian Church because of the difference between the different abilities of Paul and Apollos. They were polarizing and politicizing the church. Paul said they were carnal because Christ is not divided, and it was He who saved the believers, not him or Apollos.
1. It got to a time that Apostle Paul humbly asked Apollos to go and visit the Corinthians since he was more acceptable to them than him.
2. It was Paul seeking God’s glory alone. He was dead to self, and his self-effacing nature made him to take that step and yield the floor to Apollos. He did not care about himself or blow his trumpet and flaunt his different unique and exceptional encounters with Christ on the way to Damascus or his visit to heaven. This is the attitude of a totally
3. Apollos on his own part, decided not to visit the Corinthians at that time of contention and conflict until everything died down. He was not ready to escalate the issue or elevate himself. Just like Paul, it was none of self, but all of Christ’s. He was not happy with the way the people carnally looked down on the great Apostle while they elevated him, so he stayed away in humility and self-debase until peace is restored. He would not want to compete with his leader and father in the faith. 1 Corinthians 16:12. Apostle Paul called Apollos “our brother” in spite of all the upheavals. He did not see him as a competitor and therefore ban him from Corinth, rather, he told him to go and minister to the people. This is what happens when there is putting down of self and total submission to the will of God, and all you are looking for is His glory.
I pray that the Spirit of God will write all you have lear ned on your hearts. In you, self and competition will die. You will become a faithful soul winner As you decide to do the work of God in every way possible, the Kingdom of God will be expanded further in Jesus name.
I WILL! I CAN! I MUST!
The Lord make His work to prosper in our hands together in Jesus
• Take all that you have learned to the Lord in prayer.
• Pray for Pastor W. F. Kumuyi, may God prepare him adequately for the coming crusade.